As Ban Ki moon the United Nations Secretary General states:“Violence against women is always a violation of human rights; it is always a crime; and it is always unacceptable. Let us take this issue with the deadly seriousness that it deserves.” So shout the message to your community by throwing a Paint it Purple party and baking some of these scrumptious purple treats…. - Clemmie Proctor
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
1 hour, 5 min
- 100 grams Butter or Margarine, at room temperature
- 110 grams Castor Sugar
- 2 Free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 110 grams Self-raising flour
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 140 grams Butter, softened
- 280 grams Powdered/Icing Sugar
- 1- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1-2 drops Purple food colouring
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
To make the buttercream Icing:
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix until well combined.
Ideas for decorating the cupcakes
- To “butterfly” your cupcakes use a sharp knife a 2cm-deep x 3cm-wide piece from top of each cake. Cut the tops in half. Spoon 2 teaspoons of purple icing into each hole. Arrange cake tops over cream to form wings. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
- If you don’t want to “butterfly” your cakes just smother them in icing and enjoy!